Friday, March 5, 2010

Reflection of day 1

There were no words to describe my first day PIPing. My friend met me in the parking lot with words of sympathy for my dad, which set me into tears. I don't know how people go on so quickly after the loss of someone so close.

My cooperating teacher was terrific, she has been teaching for several years and has such a grip on her classroom, I know I learn a great deal from her. She teaches a spirited bunch of second graders in an honors program. I watched her teach every subject, and never miss a beat with them. Even though some of the children were chatty and appeared to be off task, when she pulled them together, they knew what was going on and actually were following along. This will probably be the most difficult for me. I am afraid, if they are not listening, they are not paying attention. I see now, this is not necessarily the case.

We discussed what lessons I will be teaching, she expressed an interest in having me teach science and math lessons. I am excited about this, I love the idea of teaching math, I think this will be my favorite subject to teach. I was never strong in science and proved through my college years that I am still not strong in science, but I will do my best to help these second graders. My first lesson will be on March 17 and it will be an activity lesson related to the holiday of St. Patrick's Day. I have looked on line for ideas and have not found anything that really strikes me as a terrific lesson, but perseverance will prevail, and help me present a terrific lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment